who is next bachelor 2018?
Contrary to what was generally thought and expected and as to his disappointment, Peter Kraus is NOT the bachelor. And the next Bachelor is… Arie Luyendyk Jr.! Yes! How do you take that?
Some Bachelor fans have been putting over shock and cynicism about the casting of Arie Luyendyk Jr. over Peter Kraus for season 22’s leading man. What’s your idea?
If you thought you were in the dark about this announcement, so were Luyendyk Jr.’s parents. They found out with the rest of America during his appearance on GMA.
ABC repots: After a tearful exit on Emily’s season of The Bachelorette, Arie has stepped away from the spotlight and focused on his new career in real estate, which has brought him tremendous success. Even though he has been gone from Bachelor Nation, America hasn’t forgotten Arie’s rugged good looks and charm. Now Arie is back and ready to race into America’s heart yet again.
Six years ago, Arie Luyendyk Jr. was in love and a day away from proposing to the woman of his dreams. And then, she broke his heart. Emily Maynard (now Emily Maynard Johnson) may not have been Arie’s future wife, but he hasn’t been able to find a love like hers since. Now Arie is back and ready to race into America’s heart yet again when he returns for a second shot at love, starring in the 22nd season of ABC’s hit romance reality series The Bachelor, returning to ABC in January 2018.
Born in the Netherlands, Arie, 35, and his family immigrated to the United States when he was just three years old. Son of famed Formula One racer, Arie Luyendyk Sr., a two-time Indianapolis 500 winner, Arie Jr. followed in his father’s footsteps. He made a name for himself, speeding his own way into the Indy 500. After a career as a respected Formula 1 racer, he shifted gears and is now a successful real estate broker in Scottsdale, Arizona. After mending his broken heart, Arie is finally ready to start his own journey for love.
Many people don’t think he’s a good choice but I’m actually really excited about it!
It’s hard to know if someone will be considered a good choice until the season actually starts and we see how things play out. I remember a long time ago, people thought Juan Pablo was a good choice and then he ended up having the worst season with everyone hating him at the end of it.
Here’s a short list of why I think he’s a good pick:
- No one saw it coming. He was on Emily’s season back in 2012 and he hasn’t returned to any of the franchises in a few years so Bachelor Nation kind of forgot about him.
- He’s 35 now. People are saying this means he’s more mature and more ready for love than when he was five years ago
- He was the runner-up on Emily’s season before she chose Jef (with one f) People were really rooting for him and he was able to get far into the season so he must be doing something right.
- He’s had a career change. He has retired from the whole race car driving thing and is now in real estate. The bad boy in him has calmed down a bit and now he is in a stable career!
- Arie was tapped to be The Bachelor actually a few years back, but the producers quickly changed their mind and chose Chris Soules instead. He now gets to have his chance!
- He was a Bachelor Nation favorite and nicknamed “The Kissing Bandit.” Maybe some people didn’t always enjoy him or rooted for Jef over him, but there’s no denying that his scenes with Emily were quite steamy and made for exciting TV.
All that said, Arie has a reputation. He’s the bad boy and we’re not sure if he has kicked that entirely. He dated previous Bachelor winner, Courtney Robertson, who was also quite controversial and not well liked by Bachelor Nation. Some fans are worried that Arie is sleazy and that despite his age, he’s going to have a cast of women that will all be much younger than him and that his intentions aren’t really to find love.
I don’t think that Arie was the true first choice this time around, but they didn’t have much to go off on after Rachel Lindsay’s season.
- Peter was out because he didn’t want to propose to Rachel if they got to the end. If he was chosen as The Bachelor, he likely wouldn’t change his views and want to propose either which would upset Bachelor Nation.
- Dean is too young and not mature enough. He also shot himself in the foot by playing both Kristina and Danielle on the recent season of Bachelors in Paradise.
- Eric Bigger was a fan favorite especially near the end, but producers didn’t think that he would have the dynamic personality to really control this season and be the leading man they needed.
Arie is the choice that caught us all off guard, but I don’t think we’ll be disappointed by his season.
You can watch the show (if you live in the US) on Monday nights at 8pm on ABC or watch it online the next day at. If you live in the US and have cable, you can also likely watch it On Demand the next day. If you have a Roku box / Kindle Fire stick / Google Chromecast or other similar device, you can watch it on the ABC app on those devices.
Here’s a thorough list of renewed shows for 2017 – 2018.